I got the idea for this man size teenage hunger killer, from Bertus Basson’s book ‘Homegrown’.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 T (30 ml) medium curry powder
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Masala Spice
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Seasoned Sea Salt
- 1 T (15 ml) sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 sirloin or ribeye steaks ± 400 g
- 1 French loaf
- 1 x 125 g Ina Paarman’s Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 2 very ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, finely sliced to rings
- Ina Paarman’s Peach Apricot Chutney
- 100 g mature cheddar, cheese grated
- ¼ iceberg lettuce, finely sliced
Cut twice into the fat layer of the sirloin steaks to prevent them from curling during cooking. Mix together all the Masala. Rub ingredients and work it into the steaks with your fingers. Refrigerate overnight on a plate covered with cling film.Brush the steaks with oil and braai, or panfry to your liking. Once cooked and well rested, slice the steaks thinly across the grain. Vlek the loaf open lengthways and spread the cut sides generously with Sun-dried Tomato Pesto. Distribute steak slices over the bread and top with remaining ingredients. Cut into portions across the length.