Wholewheat Banana Loaf and Muffins
The healthiest banana bread in town!
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup (125 ml) canola oil
- 1½ cups (375 ml) buttermilk
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 x 700 g Ina Paarman’s Raisin and Bran Muffin Mix
- 1 banana, thickly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 banana, cut in half lengthways
- ½ cup (125 ml) chopped pecan nuts
Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line the base of a loaf pan (23 cm x 13 cm x 6½ cm deep) with baking paper and line 6 muffin pan hollows with baking paper. See Ina’s Tip. Remove raisin bag from foil packet and pour boiling water over raisins to plump them up. Drain raisins immediately and set aside to swell. Beat eggs and oil together for 1 minute on high speed until well blended. Add buttermilk and beat in. Add mashed bananas and beat briefly. Add contents of the pack, drained raisins and half the nuts and stir in by hand with a spatula until uniformly blended. Fill 6 muffin cases with the banana mixture and pour the rest of the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Top muffins with a slice of banana and sprinkle over a few pieces of chopped nuts. Top loaf with a whole banana cut in half lengthways and sprinkle over remaining nuts. Bake muffins for 35 – 40 minutes and loaf for 1 hour. Leave to cool. Serve sliced with butter and honey.