Anchovy Pasta with Garlic Breadcrumbs
This intensely savoury pasta with plenty of appetite appeal does not taste overly fishy – it is an absolute winner! We make the breadcrumbs in bulk and freeze them. Ideal to top pasta or oven baked dishes.
YOU WILL NEED
- 4 garlic cloves, divided into two lots
- 3 slices sourdough or other crusty bread, cut into 2 cm pieces
- 1 t (5 ml) finely grated lemon zest
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning
- 3 T (45 ml) olive oil
- 4 oil packed anchovy fillets
- 1 fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 T (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 200 g linguine or spaghetti
- Ina Paarman’s Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 2 T (30 ml) finely grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup (60 ml) finely chopped parsley
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
Very finely slice 2 garlic cloves and set aside. Pulse remaining 2 garlic cloves in a food processor with bread, lemon zest and Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning and process until coarse crumbs form.
Heat half the oil in a heavy pan over medium heat. Cook breadcrumb mixture, stirring often, until golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer breadcrumb mixture with a slotted spoon to a small bowl.
Heat remaining oil in the same pan over medium-low heat. Briefly stir-fry reserved sliced garlic. Add anchovies and chilli and cook, stirring until anchovies are broken down. Stir in lemon juice.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a pot of boiling water, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Using tongs, transfer pasta to pan with sauce along with ⅔ cup pasta cooking liquid. Bring to the boil and season pasta with Chilli & Garlic Seasoning.
Gradually add cheese, tossing with pasta until melted. Remove from heat, add parsley, butter, and half of breadcrumb mixture and stir until combined and butter is melted. Taste for seasoning.
Divide pasta among bowls. Top with remaining breadcrumb mixture.
Vegetarian Variation: Use ½ pack of our Char-grilled Peppers. Use sliced mushrooms in place of anchovies.