Apple and Pecan Muffins with Honey Butter
A divine breakfast treat when the weather gets cooler! Pink Lady apples are ideal for baking because of their superior flavour and firm texture.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 extra large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup (125 ml) canola or sunflower oil
- 1½ cups (375 ml) plain yoghurt
- 1 x 700 g Ina Paarman’s Raisin & Bran Muffin Mix
- 1 T (15 ml) cinnamon
- 2 large Pink Lady apples, with skin on and coarsely grated
- ½ cup (50 g) pecan nuts, chopped
- ½ cup (125 g) butter, at room temperature
- 1 T (15 ml) grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup (60 ml) pure honey
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 180°C.
Grease two muffin pans. Remove the raisin-bag from the foil packet and pour boiling water over the raisins to plump them up. Drain immediately and set aside to swell.
Beat eggs and oil for 1 minute on high speed until well blended. Add yoghurt and beat for 1 minute on high speed.
Add contents of pack, cinnamon, drained plumped raisins, grated apple (with all the juice) and stir by hand with a spatula ± 40 times until uniformly blended. (Do not beat.) Spoon mixture into muffin pans. Sprinkle chopped nuts over the top of each unbaked muffin. Bake for about 30 minutes.
Serve with honey-butter.
Soften the butter in a smallish mixing bowl. Cream in the lemon rind and honey. Can be refrigerated until serving time.