Aubergine and Lentil Moussaka
Do not take a shortcut and use the aubergines raw – bake them first and then assemble the dish. Our Cheese Sauce is now available in a 400 ml size.
YOU WILL NEED
- 3 aubergines, sliced lengthways, ± 1 ½ cm wide
- Ina Paarman’s Seasoned Sea Salt
- olive oil
- 3 potatoes or sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- Ina Paarman’s Potato Spice
- 2 onions, chopped
- Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 2 t (10 ml) ground cumin
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 400 g tin lentils, drained
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Sun-dried Tomato Coat & Cook Sauce
- 1 x 400 ml Ina Paarman’s Ready To Serve Cheese Sauce
- 2 eggs
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position.
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Line a large baking sheet with baking paper.
Season the aubergine slices, very lightly, on one side only with Seasoned Sea Salt and then drizzle generously with olive oil. Arrange aubergine slices on baking sheet.
Bake for 25 minutes until well browned.
Butter a medium ovenproof dish.
In the meantime boil the potatoes until soft.
Slice into ½ cm thick slices and season lightly with Potato Spice.
In a large frying pan add 2 T (30 ml) of olive oil. Season the chopped onion with Green Onion Seasoning and brown the onions lightly. Stir in the cumin and garlic. Stir-fry for 30 seconds.
Add the lentils and Sun-dried Tomato Sauce.
Beat the Cheese Sauce with the eggs.
We are working with two layers so you will use half of everything for each layer.
Layer as follows:
- ½ aubergine slices
- ½ lentil mixture
- ½ potato slices
- ½ cheese sauce with egg
Turn oven temperature down to 180°C and bake uncovered for ± 40 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.