Bacon and Boerewors Bites
Boerewors is one of our undervalued traditional South African gems. It is not only for the braai, but excellent cold on snacks or in a lunchbox or in the picnic basket.
YOU WILL NEED
- 500 g good quality boerewors
- 250 g rindless streaky bacon
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 3 T (45 ml) Ina Paarman's Reduced Oil Greek Dressing
- 1 ciabatta or 1 French loaf
- olive oil
- Ina Paarman's Rosemary & Olive Seasoning
- 2 red onions, sliced into rings
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Boerewors – Cook on the stove in a riffled cast iron pan until cooked and nicely marked on both sides.
Bacon – Overlap the slices on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for ± 15 minutes until crispy. Remove and keep on paper towels until needed.
Bread – Slice the breads in half lengthways, drizzle inside with olive oil and season lightly with Rosemary & Olive Seasoning. Bake for 5 minutes.
Avocado – Pip, peel and mash avo lightly with Chilli & Garlic Seasoning and Greek Dressing. Cover.
Spread bread with avocado; slice the boerewors into 3 mm slices and pack over avo. Cut bread into 5 cm lengths on the diagonal. Top each one with bacon and onion rings.