Bacon and Butternut Puffs
Wow! What a treat! Delicious warm or at room temperature.
YOU WILL NEED
- muffin pan
- pastry brush
- chopping board
- small sharp knife
- pair of scissors
- vegetable steamer
- medium bowl
- measuring jug
- oven gloves
- 200 g streaky bacon
- 1 heaped cup (± 200 g) butternut cut into 1 cm x 1 cm cubes
- Ina Paarman’s Vegetable Spice
- ½ cup (125 ml) milk
- 2 eggs
- 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Ready to Serve Cheese Sauce
- 2 slices of white or light brown bread, cut into 1 cm x 1 cm cubes
- Ina Paarman’s Braai & Grill Seasoning
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Butter the hollows of a muffin pan. Line the sides of 8 – 9 hollows with strips of bacon.
Steam or microwave the butternut until soft. Season with Vegetable Spice.
Beat the milk, eggs and Cheese Sauce together in a mixing bowl and season with a pinch of Vegetable Spice.
Add butternut and bread cubes. Stir gently and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
Fill the bacon lined hollows with the butternut mixture. Sprinkle each very lightly with Braai & Grill Seasoning.
Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until firm, puffy and golden brown.
Replace the butternut with frozen peas and add a little leftover chicken if available.