Baked Mussels with Tomato and Capers
A real weekend winner. Make sure the mussels are fresh and remember to pull out the tough beards. Smaller mussels are tastier. Prawns are a good substitute.
YOU WILL NEED
- 200 g cherry tomatoes, kept whole and pricked with a toothpick
- 2 T (30 ml) capers, drained
- 2 T (30 ml) olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Fish Stock
- ¼ cup (60 ml) white wine (optional)
- 1 - 1 ½ kg black mussels lightly scrubbed and beards removed or frozen 1 kg shell-on prawns (defrosted)
- freshly ground black pepper
- fresh basil to garnish
Adjust the oven shelf to the middle position and preheat to 200°C.
Use a big oven pan. Add cherry tomatoes, capers, olive oil, garlic, Seasoning and Fish Stock mixed with wine (if using).
Stir everything together.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Remove pan from oven.
Add the cleaned mussels or defrosted prawns and distribute evenly.
Return the pan to the oven.
Bake open for 15 minutes or until the mussels have opened. Season generously with freshly ground black pepper.
Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves and serve with crusty bread to mop up the delicious sauce.
Serve in the pan so that everyone can help themselves and mop up the juices as they go along.