Baked Polenta with Mushrooms and Cheese
What a surprise it was when my guests and family went mad for this deep-dish ‘pap-tert’. It is ideal to serve on the side with the Pork Kebabs or with a salad as a vegetarian main.
YOU WILL NEED
- 4 cups (1 litre) water
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s Beef Flavour Stock Powder
- ¾ cup (180 ml) yellow polenta or braai pap mealie meal
- 3 T (45 ml) butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ t (2.5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 1 T (15 ml) olive oil
- 250 g punnet portobellini mushrooms, sliced
- Ina Paarman’s Garlic Pepper Seasoning, to taste
- 100 g cheddar cheese, grated (we used a mixture of Emmental and cheddar)
- 1 x 400 ml Ina Paarman’s Bulk Ready To Serve Cheese Sauce
- 4 T (60 ml) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 T (15 ml) butter, melted
Bring the water to the boil and add the Stock Powder. Add the polenta in a thin stream to the stock while whisking with a wire whisk.
Cook slowly with the lid on for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in 2 T (30 ml) of the butter.
Butter a lasagne dish measuring 22 cm x 16 cm with the remaining 1 T (15 ml) of butter.
Pour the polenta into the buttered dish, cover with cling film, and leave to set for at least 3 hours in the fridge, or best overnight.
Sauté the onion, seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning, in the butter and oil. When the onions are soft and translucent, add the sliced mushrooms and stir-fry for 1 minute over high heat.
Season to taste with Garlic Pepper Seasoning.
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 180°C.
Turn out the polenta onto the chopping board and cut into 3 cm strips. Using the same lasagne dish squeeze ± 3 tablespoons of Cheese Sauce over the bottom. Lay half the polenta slices over this and cover with half the mushrooms and half the grated cheese. Squeeze and spread some more Cheese Sauce over.
Then cover with another layer of polenta. Repeat all the layers and finish with a layer of Cheese Sauce.
Mix together the breadcrumbs and melted butter and sprinkle over.
Bake open for 35 – 40 minutes.
Leave to rest for 10 minutes.