Banana and Orange Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
A marriage of flavours! Banana, vanilla and cream cheese icing. The cake improves with standing and will feed a crowd. I doused each individual portion with a little sherry before serving and got rave reviews.
YOU WILL NEED
- ½ cup (125 g) butter at room temperature
- 3 jumbo or extra large eggs at room temperature
- 1 x 600 g Ina Paarman’s Vanilla Cake Mix
- 2 T (30 ml) orange zest (grated rind)
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¾ cup (180 ml) lukewarm, full cream milk
- 3-4 very ripe bananas, mashed
Cream cheese icing
- 125 g butter at room temperature
- 250 g cream cheese or smooth cottage cheese
- 2 T (30 ml) grated orange zest
- 1 x 250 g Ina Paarman’s Vanilla Icing Kit
- 2 T (30 ml) fresh orange juice
Adjust oven shelf to middle position.
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Butter a 22 cm round ring-form cake tin thoroughly. Ignore package instructions and follow the method below.
Cream butter until soft. Add eggs one at a time together with 1 T of the dry Cake Mix and beat in each egg thoroughly. Add half the dry Cake Mix. Fold in by hand with a spatula. Add the orange zest, orange juice, warmed milk and mashed bananas. Stir to blend. Add the remaining Cake Mix and fold in until evenly blended.
Scrape the mixture into prepared tin. Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden. Turn out onto a cooling rack after 10 minutes standing time.
Do not ice until completely cool.
For the icing
Cream butter until soft. Add cream cheese, orange zest and beat until just blended. Add Icing Mix and beat into mixture on slow speed until evenly blended. Mix in orange juice. Spread icing over cooled banana cake.
Decorate with extra orange zest.