For a smaller family it is a good idea to bake the loaves in two smaller tins and freeze one. Also delicious as a teatime treat.
YOU WILL NEED
- 3 extra large eggs, at room temperature
- ¼ cup (60 ml) canola oil
- ½ cup (125 ml) melted butter
- 1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk or yoghurt
- 1 x 600 g Ina Paarman’s Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed (if bananas very small use 4)
- 1 cup (100 g) roughly chopped pecan nuts
Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Butter two 20 cm x 10 cm x 7 cm deep loaf tins and line the bases with greaseproof paper.
Beat the eggs, oil and melted butter on high speed until well blended. Add buttermilk (or yoghurt) and beat in. Add contents of pack and mix in by hand with a spatula. Add the mashed bananas and nuts. Fold through until evenly blended. Divide the mixture between the two loaf tins. Bake for 1 hour until nicely browned. Turn out, remove paper from the bottom.
Leave to cool down completely before storing in an airtight container. The banana flavour develops on standing.
Serve as is, or toasted with a drizzle of honey.