Banting Seed Loaf
This is not a cheap bread. We did a costing and it worked out to R102.60 per loaf, see table below for breakdown. Our team enjoyed the nutty taste. The sliced bread will freeze well and can be toasted.
YOU WILL NEED
- ½ cup (125ml) flax seeds (linseeds)
- ½ cup (125ml) sunflower seeds (lightly toasted)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) pumpkin seeds (lightly toasted)
- 1 cup (100g) raw almonds
- ¼ cup (60 ml) desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup (60 ml) psyllium husks
- 2 t (10 ml) baking powder
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Seasoned Sea Salt
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml) full cream yoghurt
- 4 T (60 ml) coconut oil, melted
- extra seeds for sprinkling on top
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 180°C.
Butter and line the base of a 20 x 10 x 7cm loaf tin.
Grind the flax seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and almonds to a semi-fine texture.
Toss ground seeds together in a mixing bowl with desiccated coconut, psyllium husks, baking powder and Seasoned Sea Salt.
Beat the eggs, add the yoghurt and coconut oil.
Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix together until well blended. (See pic) it is quite a sloppy mixture. Pour the mixture into prepared loaf tin.
Bake for 45 minutes.
Banting seed loaf cost calculation:
IngredientsFull priceAmount usedPrice for recipeFlax seeds29.00 (200 g)80 gR11.60Sunflower seeds23.99 (250 g)70 gR6.72Pumpkin seeds46.99 (200g)30 gR7.05Desiccated coconut12.99 (200g)20 gR1.30Raw almonds34.95 (100g)100 gR34.95Pysllium husks48.00 (150 g)15 gR4.80Eggs54.89 (18 eggs)6R18.30Coconut Oil69.95 (500 ml)60 mlR8.40Full Double Cream Yoghurt18.95 (500g)250 mlR9.48 TOTALR102.60