Beef and Lentil Soup
My family simply love this substantial soup!
YOU WILL NEED
- 400 g beef shin
- 3 T (45 ml) olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Masala Spice
- 2 t (10 ml) curry powder
- 6 cups (1½ litres) water
- 3 T (45 ml) Ina Paarman's Beef Stock Powder or 6 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Beef Stock
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, cut in half and grated until only the skin remains and discard the skin
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 2 t (10 ml) sugar
- 250 g split red lentils
- Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s Coriander Pesto
Brown the beef in the olive oil, remove to a plate. Add the onions, pre-seasoned with Masala Spice, and sauté until soft. Add curry powder and stir through for 30 seconds.
Add the water, browned shin, Beef Stock Powder, grated tomatoes, Tomato Pesto, sugar and lentils. Simmer very slowly for 1½ – 2 hours. Season to taste with Chilli & Garlic Seasoning. Add the Coriander Pesto to the soup and pile fresh coriander, if available on the soup when serving. Drizzle with a little olive oil.
This soup improves with keeping refrigerated.