Beef Stroganoff with Char-grilled Shallots
Beef Steak and Mushrooms is an established family favourite. Give it a flavour twist with the addition of some Char-grilled Shallots and serve it on a bed of Deluxe Polenta.
YOU WILL NEED
Steak and Mushrooms
- 2 T (30 ml) olive oil
- 400 - 500 g rump steak, snip into the fat
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 250 g portobellini mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Beef Stock
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh cream
- 3 T (45 ml) marinade from Char-grilled Shallots
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- 3 of Ina Paarman’s Char-grilled Shallots, thinly sliced across
- 4 cups (1 litre) full cream milk
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Chicken Flavour Stock Powder
- ¾ cup (180 ml) coarse yellow polenta
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
Heat the oil in a large heavy based frying pan.
Add the whole steak, fry until well browned, keep covered on one side.
Add the butter to the same pan and stir-fry the mushrooms.
Add the undiluted Beef Stock, cream and shallot vinaigrette. Remove from the heat. Slice the cooked steak into thin strips against the grain and season with Garlic Pepper Seasoning.
Bring the mushroom mixture to the boil, add the meat, sliced shallots and any juices that might have leaked out.
Simmer for 5 minutes and serve with Deluxe Polenta.
Bring the milk to the boil and add the Chicken Flavour Stock Powder. Add the polenta in a thin stream to the stock while whisking with a wire whisk.
Cook slowly with the lid on for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in butter. Dish up.
If time is a problem, make the polenta in advance and pour into a serving dish. Brush the top with a little oil or melted butter to prevent a skin forming. Cover with cling film. Reheat it in the microwave before serving.
Never reheat food while still covered with cling film in the microwave. Remove it first and then warm.