Broccoli Soup with Bacon
We all know broccoli is good for us, here is how to turn this nutritious vegetable into a delectable soup.
YOU WILL NEED
- 125 g streaky bacon rashers, cut across into thirds
- 1 T (15 ml) canola oil
- 1 medium/large onion, chopped
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed 1 cm x 1 cm
- 300-400 g broccoli, roughly cut up, keep stems separate, and slice them finely
- 6 cups (1½ litres) boiling water
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken or Vegetable Stock Powder
- Ina Paarman's Seasoned Sea Salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh cream
Preheat a large heavy based saucepan. Add the oil and then the bacon pieces. Stir-fry over high heat until the bacon is crispy. Spoon out the bacon with a slotted spoon. Leave on absorbent kitchen paper to drain.
Season the onion with Green Onion Seasoning and sauté in the same saucepan in the remaining oil. When the onion is soft, add the potato cubes and broccoli stems and stir to mix everything. Turn the heat to low, put a lid on the saucepan and ‘smoor’ the vegetables slowly for about 10 minutes.
Add the water and Stock Powder. Cook for another 5 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Add the broccoli tops and cook for 5-8 minutes, until the broccoli is just tender. Cook **without** the lid to keep the green colour. Liquidise the soup until smooth. Taste for seasoning.
Serve in warm soup bowls with a dollop of lightly whipped cream and bacon sprinkled over.
Omit bacon and top soup with a broccoli floret.