Butternut and Pecan Bake
A recipe with many advantages. It can be prepared in advance, even the day before, but best of all, it brings all those wonderful old-fashioned flavours of honey, butter and cinnamon back to the modern dinner table.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 medium (800-900 g) butternut, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup (60 ml) honey
- 2 T (30 ml) butter, melted
- 1 t (5 ml) cinnamon
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Vegetable Spice
- 1 lemon
- ¾ cup (180 ml) hot water
- 1 x 25g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Vegetable Stock or 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Vegetable Stock Powder
- ½ cup (125 ml) pecan nuts, finely chopped
Toss the butternut with the honey, butter, cinnamon, Vegetable Spice and two teaspoons lemon rind, grated from the lemon. Dish into a medium small buttered ovenproof dish.
Dissolve the Vegetable Stock in the hot water and add one tablespoon of lemon juice.
Carefully pour it in on the side of the dish so as not to wash off the coating on the butternut.
Cover with cling film and refrigerate if pre-preparing.
Adjust the oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 190°C. Sprinkle nuts over and bake for 35-40 minutes until the butternut is soft and nuts are crisp.