A delicious vegetarian variation on a much-loved traditional South African dish. I demonstrated this on TV with great reviews. The taste and texture of this vegetarian bobotie is as good or better than the traditional South African meat original. Rich in proteins, ideal for Meatless Meals. We have doubled up the recipe, enough for two meals. Refrigerate for 3 days, or freeze.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 slices white or brown bread cut into cubes
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Butter Chicken (mild) or Tikka Curry (stronger) Coat & Cook Sauce
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 3 T (45 ml) canola or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- ± 500 g, peeled and coarsely grated, butternut = 3 cups
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 – 1 ½ t (5 – 7.5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Masala Spice
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Vegetable Stock Powder
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 400 g tin lentils, drained
- 400 g tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup (250 ml) sour or fresh cream
- ½ cup (125 ml) plain yoghurt
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Masala Spice
- 3 eggs
- 3 bay leaves
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Soak the bread in the Curry Sauce of your choice. Season chopped onions with our Green Onion Seasoning and brown the onions in butter and oil. Add the garlic, the grated butternut, grated carrot, seasoned with Masala Spice, to the onions and stir-fry over medium heat. Add Stock Powder and water. Simmer, with the lid on, for 5 minutes. Add lentils, chickpeas and soaked bread and cook on low heat for a further 5 minutes.
Taste for seasoning. Divide the bobotie mixture into one large ovenproof dish or four 12 cm round pie dishes as well as a medium ovenproof dish and level the tops smoothly with the back of a spoon. Beat the sour cream and yoghurt with the Masala Spice and eggs using a wire whisk. Push bay leaves into the boboties. Pour egg mixture over, bake for 35 minutes or until the toppings are golden brown and puffy.
Will keep covered and refrigerated for 3 days. Freeze up to 2 months.
This Butternut Bobotie is delicious served with our Peach Apricot Chutney.