Caramelised Onion, Sundried Tomato and Feta Bake
Two delicious layers full of flavour. A robust onion/tomato base, topped with a golden feta and egg custard.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 T (30 ml) soft butter
- ½ cup (125 ml) soft breadcrumbs (white or brown)
- 3 medium onions, cut in half and then sliced
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- 3 T (45 ml) olive or canola oil
- 1 T (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 T (15 ml) sugar
- ½ x 240 g Ina Paarman's Sundried Tomato Quarters, drained and sliced
- 2 wheels of feta cheese, cubed
- 3 extra large eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh cream
- ¼ cup (60 ml) plain yoghurt or milk
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's White Sauce Powder
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 180°C. Generously butter a 25 cm porcelain fluted flan dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the base of the dish. Sauté the onions pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning in the oil until limp, cover the onion first with greaseproof paper and then with a lid. Turn the heat to very low and ‘smoor’ the onions for 10 minutes until very soft. Add vinegar and sugar. Stir-fry over high heat for another minute to evaporate the liquid and brown the onions.
Spoon the sliced Sundried Tomatoes and onions into the buttered and crumbed flan dish.
Sprinkle the cubed feta cheese over the caramelized onions. Beat the eggs, and cream together. Mix the yoghurt or milk with the White Sauce Powder to form a smooth paste and stir into the egg/cream mixture. Pour over the filling. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden, firm and slightly puffy.
Serve warm or at room temperature with a salad.