Caramelised Onions with Balsamic Vinegar
Do make the onions well in advance, up to 2 weeks, and store in the fridge use when needed with braais, on hamburgers, sandwichs etc. It is important to follow the method exactly and to pre-boil the onions in the white vinegar water. It mellows the flavour and improves the texture.
YOU WILL NEED
- 8 onions, peeled and sliced into half rings
- ¾ cup (180 ml) white vinegar (any cheap supermarket one)
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- ½ cup (125 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup (250 ml) soft brown sugar
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Seasoned Sea Salt
Place the sliced onions in a saucepan. Add white vinegar and water. Boil open while stirring now and again for 5 minutes. Strain and discard vinegar water. To the same saucepan with the onions, add the balsamic vinegar, sugar and Seasoned Sea Salt. Boil open for ±45 minutes until thick and jammy.
Sterilise clean glass bottles with boiling water. Spoon the onions into the glass jars and close tightly. Turn the jars upside down to sterilise the lids. Store in the fridge.