Cauliflower and Potato Soup with Cheese
Make this soup when cauliflower is freely available and at a good price. This delicious recipe will find favour with young and old. You may replace the cauliflower with broccoli and the cheddar cheese with blue cheese.
YOU WILL NEED
- 3 T (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium/large onion, chopped
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed 1 cm x 1 cm
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, broken up into florets
- 3 cups (750 ml) boiling water
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken or Vegetable Stock Powder
- 2 cups (500 ml) full cream milk
- ½ cup (125 ml) grated mature cheddar cheese
Preheat the oil in a heavy based saucepan.
Add the onion pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning and potato and stir. Cover the vegetables with greaseproof paper. Put the lid on, turn the heat down and ‘smoor’ this mixture slowly for 15 minutes until the onions and potatoes are soft and aromatic. Add garlic and cauliflower and stir through.
Add the boiling water, Stock Powder and milk and cook for a further 15-20 minutes. Add half of the cheese. Liquidise the soup until smooth. Season to taste with Green Onion Seasoning.
Serve in warm soup bowls garnished with remaining cheese and fresh herbs if available e.g. chives or origanum.
Click here to view the Afrikaans version of the recipe.