Cheese and Onion Quiche
One of the great classics that will never go out of style! The cheese pastry is a real winner.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 cups (240 g) flour
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ t (2,5 ml) mustard powder
- 125 g butter
- 1 cup (250 ml) cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg yolk
- ± ¼ cup (60 ml) cold water, add a little more until a pliable dough is obtained.
- 2 onions, finely sliced into half rings
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 T (15 ml) olive or canola oil
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 2 extra large eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh cream
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman's Ready to Serve Cheese Sauce
- Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 1 cup (250 ml) strong cheddar cheese, grated
Sift the dry ingredients together twice. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter, sharp knife or food processor. Add the cheese. Mix the egg yolk and cold water and use to mix the pastry to a firm but pliable dough. Knead dough lightly, flatten into a disk, cover with clingfilm and stand at room temperature or chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes if very hot outside.
Roll out a little thicker than a R5 coin. Line a 25 cm loose bottom pan or fluted flan dish.
We will need some bits of leftover cooked pastry for the top of the quiche.
Refrigerate unbaked pastry for at least 20 minutes.
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 200°C.
Bake blind for about 10 minutes until straw-coloured and crisp.
For more details on blind baking, click here.
Reduce oven temperature to 170°C.
Sauté the onion, seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning, in the oil/butter mixture. Keep aside. Beat the eggs, cream, Cheese Sauce and a little Chilli & Garlic Seasoning together. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the baked pastry shell. Top with the onion mixture. Pour the egg mixture on top. Crush enough of the baked cheese pastry leftovers or straws to make ¼ cup (60 ml) of crumbs. Toss these with the remaining grated cheese. Sprinkle over quiche. Bake for about 35 minutes. Leave in the oven with the door slightly open to set for 15 minutes. Serve at room temperature or lukewarm.