Cheese and Caramelised Onion Subs
To cater for non-meat eaters we have stuffed each hot dog bun with a generous length of cheddar cheese. The caramelised onion is essential to bring out the flavour and make the subs special.
YOU WILL NEED
- 6 large onions, cut in half and then sliced
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- ½ cup (125 ml) olive or canola oil
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed (optional)
- 3 T (45 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 T (30 ml) sugar
- 1 x 125 g Ina Paarman’s Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- ½ cup (125 ml) olive oil
- 25 - 30 hot dog buns
- 750 g block cheddar cheese
- 2 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Ready To Serve Cheese Sauce
- micro herbs
Sauté the onions pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning in the oil with the crushed cardamom pods (if using) added. Cover, first with greaseproof paper and then with a lid.
Turn the heat to very low and ‘smoor’ the onions for 10 minutes until very soft. Add balsamic vinegar and sugar. Stir-fry open over high heat for another minute to evaporate the liquid and brown the onions.
Leave to cool.
Slash hot dog buns along the top from end to end. Stretch them open with two fingers and brush with a mixture of Tomato Pesto and olive oil.
Cut the cheese lengthways into 1 cm thick slices.
Spoon ± 1 T of caramelised onion into each bun.
Insert a cheese baton into each bun.
Squeeze a squiggle of Cheese Sauce over each sub.
Can be pre-prepared in advance up to this stage.
Warm in the oven for serving.
Add a sprinkle of micro herbs at the last minute before serving.