Enough to line one Quiche dish or to make cheese straws. This delicious pastry has many uses and it can be made successfully in a food processor.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 cup (120g) flour
- ½ t (2,5ml) Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- ½ cup (125g) cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup (250ml) grated mature Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg yolk (reserve white)
- 3 ½ T (52,5ml) cold water, enough for a pliable dough
Sift the dry ingredients twice. Cut in the butter, not too finely, the lumps must be the size of small peas, use a food processor or pastry cutter. Toss in the cheese. Use the egg yolk and cold water to mix into a firm but pliable dough. Knead dough lightly shape into a flat disk and rest for 30 minutes, wrapped in cling film.
Roll out pastry, about 2-3 mm thick. Cut it into 1 cm wide strips. Recut into 8 cm lengths.
Twist the strips to form corkscrew shapes to make cheese straws. Lay the cheese straws out on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
Adjust the oven shelf to the middle position and preheat oven to 200°C. Bake cheese straws for ±10 minutes.