Cheesy Sweet Potato Bake
This recipe is a winner! One of my son, Graham’s favourites! You can certainly use regular potatoes for this dish – but sweet potatoes are so trendy at the moment and are an excellent source of Vitamin A and roughage.
YOU WILL NEED
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into ½ cm rounds
- Ina Paarman's Potato Spice
- 2T (30ml) canola or olive oil
- 125g streaky bacon, cut across into 2cm pieces
- 2 medium onions, sliced into half rounds
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 1 x 200ml Ina Paarman's Ready to Serve Cheese Sauce
- ½ cup (125ml) fresh cream or plain double cream yoghurt
- 1 egg
Cook the sweet potato slices in 1 ½ cups of boiling water for no more than 5 minutes. Drain immediately and return sweet potatoes to the pot. Gently toss with Potato Spice, cover with a clean cloth and then the lid and leave to stand.
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 180°C.
Butter a medium size ovenproof dish.
Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the bacon pieces and stir-fry until crisp.
Remove with a slotted spoon and keep on one side.
Add the onions to the bacon fat in the pan, pre-seasoned with Chilli & Garlic Seasoning.
Sauté over medium heat until onion has softened and turned golden.
Add the garlic a few minutes before the onions are done.
Stir the bacon back into the onion mixture.
Tip and level half of the pre-cooked sweet potato slices into the buttered dish, top with half of the onion/bacon mixture.
Repeat with the remaining sweet potato and onion mixture.
Beat the Cheese Sauce with the cream and egg.
Pour over the dish.
Bake for ±20 – 25 minutes until golden.