Chicken Bunny Chow
A quick and easy way to feed 4 people. For a special occasion like Easter, give the chows bunny faces!
YOU WILL NEED
- frying pan with a lid
- measuring jugs and spoons
- chopping board
- pair of scissors
- medium mixing bowl
- large spoon
- bread knife
- vegetable peeler
- 4 chicken breast fillets or use half a pre-cooked supermarket chicken
- ½ cup (125 ml) boiling water
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Chicken Stock
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Ready to Serve Creamy Curry Sauce
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 long French loaf, cut into 4 equal pieces
- 4 small lettuce or baby spinach leaves
- cucumber strips for the ears
- large raisins for the eyes
- half cherry tomato for the nose
- half a carrot ring for the mouth
- flaked almonds for teeth
- chives for the whiskers
If using a cooked supermarket chicken, no further cooking is needed. Just remove the skin and bones and cut the chicken into small blocks.
Raw chicken fillets are seasoned with Chicken Spice. Lay them flat in a single layer in a frying pan with a lid.
Dissolve the Liquid Chicken Stock in the boiling water and pour it into the pan on the side so as not to wash the seasoning off the chicken.
Bring to a gentle boil, cover with a lid and simmer slowly for 5 minutes only.
Turn the breasts over, replace the lid, remove from the heat and leave to stand for another 7 minutes. This gentle method is ideal for cooking chicken breasts. Cooked this way they will never be dry or tough.
Remove the lid from the pan and slice the chicken first across the grain and then into cubes. Place in a mixing bowl.
Add the Creamy Curry Sauce and Tomato Pesto. Toss to mix.
Hollow out the lengths of French loaf leaving about 2 cm of bread at the bottom of each one for a base. Give the base a waterproof lining with a small lettuce or baby spinach leaf. Fill the hollowed out bread with the chicken filling.
Garnish as per picture if desired.
Enjoy a delicious bunny chow!
Use the soft bread removed from the centres to make breadcrumbs. Freeze for later. Delicious mixed with melted butter and cheese to sprinkle over a lasagne or macaroni cheese.