Chicken Curry Casserole with Tomato
Home-style South African family food at its best! The secret to this, and so many other slow cooked dishes, is to “powder” the meat with a seasoned flour mixture before browning. This adds flavour and thickens the sauce. This recipe packs a lot of flavour. Serve it with rice to absorb the aromatic sauce.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 T (30 ml) medium curry powder
- 1 T (15 ml) flour
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken Stock Powder
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic Pepper Seasoning or Masala Spice
- 1 free range chicken, cut into portions or 1 combo pack of thighs and drumsticks
- ¼ cup (60 ml) canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 4 very ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped or 400 g tin tomatoes
- 1 x 240 g pack of Sun-dried Tomatoes or 1 x 125 g Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 2 t (10 ml) sugar
- ½ chilli sliced into rings (optional)
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Tikka Curry Coat & Cook Sauce
- fresh coriander
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Mix the curry powder, flour, Chicken Stock Powder and Garlic Pepper Seasoning in a large, plastic bag. Add the chicken pieces and shake to coat. Warm a heavy based saucepan, add the oil and brown the chicken pieces lightly. Keep on one side.
In the same pan, sauté the onions together with the Green Onion Seasoning. When the onions are soft and beginning to brown, add the sliced garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the fresh tomatoes, Sun-dried Tomatoes (with the vinaigrette in which it is packed), sugar, chilli and water. Return the browned chicken (and all the juices) to the saucepan. Cover saucepan with a tight fitting lid. Bake for 1¼ hours. Stir in the Tikka Curry Sauce. Top with fresh coriander and serve with rice and sambals.