Chicken Goulash – Hungarian Style
Take an armchair trip to Hungary and enjoy a traditional dish well prepared and served with pasta. Replace the white wine with Chicken Stock.
YOU WILL NEED
- 8 chicken portions, thighs and drumsticks
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- 3 T (45 ml) Ina Paarman's White Sauce Powder
- 2 T (30 ml) smoked paprika
- 2 T (30 ml) canola oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- ½ t (2,5ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 can (410 g) chopped tomatoes
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken Flavour Stock Powder
- ½ cup (125 ml) boiling water
- ½ cup (125 ml) white wine
- ½ cup (125 ml) sour cream
Remove excess fat from chicken portions. Measure Garlic Pepper Seasoning, White Sauce Powder and ½ T (7,5 ml) paprika into a paper or plastic bag and shake the chicken portions in it.
Brown the chicken portions on both sides in the oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in an ovenproof dish.
Adjust the oven rack to one slot below the middle position. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Sauté the onion pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning in the remaining oil until soft and golden. Add the garlic and remaining paprika and stir-fry for 1 – 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, carrots, peppers, Chicken Flavour Stock Powder, water and wine. Bring to a fast boil for 3 minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover with a lid or tent with foil.
Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for a final 15 minutes.
Top the dish with sour cream and chives. Serve with buttered tagliatelle.
Smoked paprika: Spice shops and delis may offer a better choice than regular supermarkets.