Chicken Pasta with Oven Roast Tomatoes and Basil Pesto
Tomatoes are cheaper and full of flavour in Summer. If you have some in the garden or can buy in bulk, roast them and freeze in Ziploc bags to use, down the line when the quality is poorer and the price higher.
YOU WILL NEED
- 4 ripe, red tomatoes or 200 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 t (10 ml) sugar
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Seasoned Sea Salt
- 2 - 3 T (30 - 45 ml) olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts, each cut across the grain into 5 - 6 slices or 400 g mini fillets, left whole
- Ina Paarman's Chicken Spice
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 2 T (30 ml) olive or canola oil
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Chicken Stock
- 300 g penne
- 1 T (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Pasta Spice
- 4 T (60 ml) Ina Paarman's Basil Pesto
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 200°C.
Cut the unpeeled tomatoes into ¼’s. Cherry tomatoes must be halved. Toss the tomatoes, in a mixing bowl, with the sugar, Seasoned Sea Salt and olive oil.
Spread out in a single layer on a non-stick or oiled baking sheet.
Bake for ± 20-30 minutes until soft and beginning to brown.
Lightly season chicken with Chicken Spice. Heat frying pan and add butter and oil. Cook chicken on both sides only until lightly browned. Squeeze Stock Concentrate (undiluted) over chicken and stir-fry for 1 more minute. Add the tomatoes and stir through. Keep on one side, covered.
Cook the penne in unsalted boiling water for 8 – 10 minutes.
Strain in a colander and return penne to the saucepan in which it was cooked. Toss with olive oil, Pasta Spice and Basil Pesto. Divide pasta between serving plates – top with chicken mixture.