Chicken Soup the Traditional Way
Chicken soup is the Jewish mother’s cure-all. It has been proven (medically) to definitely help with the speedy recovery from colds and flu.
YOU WILL NEED
- 400-500 g chicken necks or drumsticks (frozen are fine)
- 8 cups (2 litres) of water
- 4 T (60 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken Stock Powder
- 2 T (30 ml) vinegar or lemon juice
- 3 large carrots, grated
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- a handful of parsley
- 3 celery stalks, with leaves, finely chopped
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic & Herb Seasoning
Simmer the chicken, water, Stock Powder and vinegar for 1 hour to extract all the goodness.
Add the carrots, onions, parsley and celery. Simmer for another 45 minutes. Strain through a colander. Push down on the solids to extract every last bit of juice. The meat can be flaked and added to the strained stock if you like. This soup will freeze very well.
Reheat for serving and sprinkle generously with chopped parsley for extra Vitamin C and A.
Add a handful of vermicelli to the strained soup and boil for 5 minutes.