Chicken with Lentil Rice
A straightforward chicken dish bulked up with rice and lentils.
YOU WILL NEED
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- 2 T (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- ½ t (2.5 ml) turmeric
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- ¾ cup (180 ml) basmati or long grain rice
- ½ cup (125 ml) red lentils
- ½ cup (125 ml) green olives, pipped
- 3 cups (750 ml) water
- 3 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Chicken Stock
- 2 T (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 x 125 g Ina Paarman's Roasted Red Pepper Pesto
Adjust the oven rack, one slot below the middle and preheat the oven to 180°C.
Season the chicken pieces all over with Garlic Pepper.
Brown the chicken skin side first, in a cast iron casserole, in the olive oil, in two batches. Remove and set aside.
Add the butter to the casserole together with the onions, seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning.
Stir-fry the onions together with the turmeric over slow heat until golden and tender. Add garlic halfway through cooking the onions. Cover with the lid from time to time to promote softening.
Increase the heat to medium-high and add the rice and raw lentils to the pan, stir-fry for 1 minute.
Stir in the green olives.
Pour in the water, add the Liquid Chicken Stock and lemon juice.
Add the Roasted Red Pepper Pesto and bring to the boil.
Add the chicken pieces, skin side up.
Place uncovered in the oven and bake for 1 ¼ hours. Switch off the oven and leave the chicken to rest for 10 minutes in the warm oven.
Serve with Persian Herb and Cucumber Yoghurt Salad.