Chicken with Port and Figs
One of those traditional savoury sweet dishes that we South Africans love. Do use the thighs and drumsticks, breasts are not suitable for lengthy cooking.
YOU WILL NEED
- 125 g dried figs, cut into quarters, or dates or Turkish apricots
- ½ cup (125 ml) port or red wine or strong rooibos tea
- 4 skin-on chicken thighs
- 4 skin-on drumsticks
- Ina Paarman’s Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- 2 T (30 ml) olive or canola oil
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 T (15 ml) coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- 5 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 2 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Chicken Stock
- chopped parsley for garnishing
Adjust the oven rack one slot below the middle and preheat the oven to 180°C.
Soak the dried figs in the port, while getting the rest of the ingredients together. Season the chicken portions all round with Garlic Pepper Seasoning. Brown the chicken portions in a mixture of oil and butter. Keep on the side.
Add the onions, seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning, and sauté them until golden. Add coriander seeds and garlic and sauté for another minute. Add the tomatoes, Sun-dried Tomato Pesto, water and Chicken Stock. Stir through.
Strain the port into the sauce. Arrange the browned chicken portions, skin side up, in the sauce. Tuck the soaked figs in between the chicken pieces. Oven bake the chicken in the pan for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Sprinkle over chopped parsley and serve with Bulgar wheat and Herbed Vegetables.