Chilled Cherry Tomato Soup
A delicious and healthy cold soup. Delicious in summer with fresh bread and a selection of cheese.
YOU WILL NEED
- 600 g ripe cherry tomatoes
- 3 t (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 1 T (15 ml) sugar
- 2 slices chiabatta or 3 slices French bread
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and quartered
- ½ English cucumber, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 T (15 ml) lemon juice or cider vinegar
- 1 T (15 ml) chopped fresh basil
- 3 T (45 ml) cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil
- Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning to taste
- 3 x 200 ml tins tomato cocktail
- 1 bunch spring onions with green tops, finely sliced
- ½ English cucumber, unpeeled and finely diced
- 1 cup (250 ml) crushed ice
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Slice the tomatoes in half and place them, cut side up, in a roasting pan. Season with Garlic and Herb Seasoning and sugar. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
Remove the tomatoes from the oven and process them with the remaining ingredients until completely smooth. If the food processor is over-full, reserve 1 can tomato cocktail and add it later. Taste for seasoning. The flavour must be quite strong as ice cubes and garnishes are added just before serving, which will dilute the taste. Cover with cling film and refrigerate.
Prepare the spring onions and cucumber for garnishing and refrigerate in individual bowls.
To serve, add the crushed ice to the soup and hand around bowls of vegetable garnish for your guests to help themselves.