Chilli Beef Salad with Cashew Nuts
A robust, filling salad, ideal for a warm summers day or evening. The secret lies in cooking the meat correctly, therefore do read the instructions carefully.
YOU WILL NEED
- ½ cup (125ml) Ina Paarman's Lime & Coriander Low Fat Salad Dressing
- 1 T (15ml) Ina Paarman's Coriander Pesto
- 1 T (15ml) fish sauce (optional)
- ½ red chilli, finely sliced
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 500g rib eye, rump or fillet steak
- Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- olive oil
- ½ bunch spring onions finely sliced with green tops
- 1½ cups (375ml) cherry tomatoes (about 300g)
- 1 punnet rocket or mixed salad greens
- ½ cup (125ml) mint leaves
- 50g raw cashew nuts, lightly toasted in a dry frying pan
Shake together in a screw top jar and leave in the fridge.
Season the steaks with Chilli & Garlic Seasoning, drizzle and turn in olive oil.
Leave at room temperature for 20-30 minutes (the Chef’s term for this is ‘tempering the meat’, it ensures flavour absorbance and even cooking.)
Pan-fry the steaks in a ribbed griddle pan over high heat to medium rare.
Remove the steaks to a wooden board and cover with foil, shiny side towards the meat. Leave to stand for 5-10 minutes in order for the juices to settle.
Slice the meat against the grain into thin slices. Scrape the sliced steak (and any juices) into a mixing bowl. Toss with the dressing and sliced spring onions.
Add a little olive oil to a small pan and flash-fry the cherry tomatoes until bright red and beginning to burst. Season with Chilli & Garlic Seasoning.
Line a large plate with torn rocket and mint leaves.
Top with dressed meat mixture, cherry tomatoes and toasted nuts.