Chilli Mince with Butternut and Beans
One would honestly expect my family to rave about more elaborate dishes, but this is one of their favourites and a regular supper standby. It improves with keeping and freezes well.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 - 3 T (30 - 45 ml) canola oil
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- ½ t (2.5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 T (15 ml) flour
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Beef Flavour Stock Powder
- 4 - 6 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 400 g tin cubed tomatoes
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 1 t (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 ½ t (7.5 ml) Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 1 T (15 ml) lemon juice
- ½ butternut, (about 2 cups) diced 2 cm x 2 cm
- 400 g tin drained butter beans
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Peri-Peri Coat & Cook Sauce
- 4 T (½ of 125 ml pack) Ina Paarman's Coriander Pesto
Heat a large saucepan or big deep frying pan, without any oil. When the pan is hot add the oil, swirl it around and immediately add the mince. Stir-fry until crumbly.
Spoon mince out of the pan. Add the onions, pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning, to the pan with a little more oil and cook until soft. Add flour, Stock Powder and garlic and stir through. Add tomatoes, water, cumin, Chilli & Garlic Seasoning and lemon juice. Return meat to the pan.
Simmer very slowly for 20 minutes. Add butternut and beans. Simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until butternut is soft. Add Peri-Peri Sauce and Coriander Pesto. Warm through. Taste for seasoning. Serve with rice and seasonal vegetables or salad sambals.