Choc Coffee Cake with Walnuts
Rave reviews all round! Graham feels this is the most outstanding variation on our Chocolate Cake to date. Walnuts are now fresh and available and lend great flavour and texture to the cake. The icing is to die for!
YOU WILL NEED
- 3 extra large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup (250 ml) canola oil
- 3 T (45 ml) good quality coffee granules
- 1 ¼ cups (310 ml) boiling water
- 1 x 650 g Ina Paarman’s Chocolate Cake Mix
- 100 g walnuts, reserve 8 – 10 halves for garnish and roughly chop the rest
- 2 t (10 ml) good quality coffee granules
- 4 T (60 ml) hot water
- ½ cup (125 g) butter, at room temperature
- 1 x 250 g Ina Paarman’s Vanilla Icing Kit
Adjust oven rack to the middle position.
Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter two 20 cm cake pans and line the bases with baking paper.
Dissolve the coffee granules in the boiling water.
Mix according to package instructions using the strong coffee made with coffee granules and boiling water. Add walnuts together with the dry ingredients.
Divide mixture between two pans.
Bake for 35 – 40 minutes. Leave the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes.
Turn out onto a cooling rack and leave until cold.
Dissolve the coffee granules in the warm water and allow to cool.
Cream the butter and add the Icing Mix and beat together while slowly adding the cold coffee.
Divide the coffee icing into thirds.
Sandwich the cakes together with one third of the icing. Ice the sides of the cake to give the ‘naked’ look.
Ice the top of the cake and decorate with reserved walnuts.