Chorizo with Chickpeas and Beans
If chorizo (a semi dry, Spanish pork sausage rich with paprika) if it is not available, one can use thick slices of salami as a very good substitute. You may just have to lift the Cajun Spice a little.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 T (15 ml) canola oil
- 2 sticks of celery, sliced 3mm thick
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- ± 225 g chorizo sausage, sliced
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Cajun Spice or Braai & Grill Seasoning
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 t (5 ml) sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 1 x 25g Ina Paarman's Liquid Vegetable Stock
- 400 g tin chickpeas, drained
- 400g tin butter beans, drained
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped parsley
- a squeeze of lemon juice
Sauté the onion seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning in the oil until onions are soft and golden. Add the celery, garlic and chorizo slices. Stir-fry for about 3 minutes. Add Cajun Spice or Braai & Grill Seasoning and stir through. Add chopped tomatoes, sugar, water, Liquid Vegetable Stock, chickpeas and beans.
Simmer slowly for ± 15 minutes. Taste for seasoning, add parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve with green beans on the side.