Christmas Muffins with Cranberries
Dried cranberries are really nice if available, otherwise use red cherries.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 cup (100 g) dried cranberries (reserve ¼ cup for garnish)
- ½ cup (125 ml) sherry or fresh orange juice
- 2 extra large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup (180 ml) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) plain yoghurt
- ¾ cup (180 ml) fresh full cream milk
- 1 x 700 g Ina Paarman’s Raisin & Bran Muffin Mix
- 1 medium apple, grated with skin on
White glacé icing
- 1 x 250 g Ina Paarman’s Vanilla Icing Kit
- 4 T (60 ml) milk powder or cremora
- 2 t (10 ml) butter
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice
- a little boiling water
- reserved dried cranberries
- icing sugar for dusting
Pour the sherry over the ¾ cup cranberries and the raisins (in the bag included with Muffin Mix). Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute. Leave to stand.
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 180°C.
Grease two muffin pans. Beat eggs and oil for 1 minute on high speed until well blended. Add yoghurt and milk and beat in on high speed.
Add contents of pack, grated apple and fruit with all the sherry.
Stir by hand with a wooden spoon ± 40 times until uniformly blended. (Do not beat.) Spoon mixture into buttered muffin pans. Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
Our Vanilla Icing gives a much better result than plain icing sugar. I suggest you keep the bag and nozzle to use at another time.
Sift the icing sugar and milk powder together.
Heat butter and lemon juice in the microwave on high for 45 seconds. Add to the sifted mixture gradually, while whisking with a hand whisk.
You should get a thick but still runny mixture that coats the back of a spoon. If too thick add a tiny bit more lemon juice.
Spoon icing over the muffins and dot with reserved cranberries. Dust with sifted icing sugar.