South Africans cannot have a drinks party without these traditional mini-frikkadels!
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 t (10 ml) powdered gelatine
- 500 g pork sausage meat
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Meat Spice
- 1 T (15 ml) ground cumin
- 1 cup (250 ml) soft white breadcrumbs
- 4 T (60 ml) Ina Paarman’s Roast Onion Soup & Gravy Powder
- 1 cup (250 ml) cold water
- 2 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Beef Stock
- 2 cups (500 ml) soft white breadcrumbs, finer is better
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 3 T (45 ml) butter
- ½ cup (125 ml) olive or canola oil
- Ina Paarman’s Sweet Chilli Chutney
Sprinkle the gelatine over the minced meat. Mix all the ingredients for the frikkadels together with a small knife. Leave to rest for 10 minutes. Roll into small balls (a heaped teaspoonful, is the perfect size).
Mix the soft breadcrumbs and Chilli & Garlic Seasoning together for the coating. Roll the mini-frikkadels in the breadcrumb mixture. Refrigerate until ready to cook. Pan-fry in butter and oil. Serve warm or at room temperature speared on cocktail forks with Sweet Chilli Chutney for dipping.
Don’t leave out the gelatine, it keeps the meatballs moist.
They will freeze well, either raw or cooked