Cottage Pie with Sweet Potato Topping
This large quantity pie is ideal to split into two and to freeze half. I just love the gentle Middle Eastern flavours given by the ground cumin and coriander.
YOU WILL NEED
- canola oil
- 1 kg lean beef mince
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Meat Spice
- 1 t (5ml) Ina Paarman’s Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 T (15 ml) ground coriander
- 1 T (15 ml) ground cumin
- 2 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Beef Stock
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 125 g Ina Paarman’s Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 2 cups (500 ml) frozen peas
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped parsley
Sweet Potato Topping
- 1 kg sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 250 g regular potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Seasoned Sea Salt
- Ina Paarman’s Potato Spice, to taste
- 1 T (15 ml) lemon zest
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Stir-fry the mince in two batches, using 1 – 2 T (15 – 30 ml) of canola oil per batch.
Keep the mince on one side and mix Meat Spice. Add Chilli & Garlic Seasoning in to the chopped onions.
Add a little more oil to the pan and sauté the seasoned onions until golden. Add the garlic, ground coriander and cumin. Stir-fry until spices are aromatic, ± 30 seconds.
Add the undiluted Beef Stock, tinned tomatoes, Tomato Pesto and water.
Bring to the boil and add the mince. Simmer slowly for 20 minutes. Add the peas and parsley, stir through and dish into an ovenproof dish big enough to accommodate the topping as well. The mince mixture can be made in advance.
For the topping, boil the sweet potatoes and regular potatoes together in ± 2 cups (500 ml) of water to which you have added the Seasoned Sea Salt. Cook until soft.
Drain. Mash until smooth. Add lemon zest and butter. Taste and add Potato Spice.
Incorporate the egg.
Spoon topping over mince.
Adjust oven rack to one shelf below the middle and preheat the oven to 180°C.
Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown.
Serve with green vegetables or a tossed salad and our Peach Apricot Chutney on the side.