Cream of Tomato Soup
The secret of this soup lies in the ripeness of the tomatoes. If you do not have ripe tomatoes available, use canned whole Italian Plum Tomatoes and roast them as below.
YOU WILL NEED
- 8 ripe, fresh tomatoes
- 1 T (15 ml) brown sugar
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Seasoned Sea Salt
- 1 T (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 smallish onion, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's White Sauce Powder
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s Tomato Pesto
- 4 cups (1 litre) boiling water
- 4 t (20 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken Stock Powder
- 2 T (30 ml) sherry (optional)
- Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh cream, lightly whipped
Cut the tomatoes in half. Spoon out pips, work over a sieve. Drain the tomatoes in a sieve over a bowl.
Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
Pack the tomatoes in a single layer in a large casserole dish, cut side up. Sprinkle with sugar and Seasoned Sea Salt. Toss the onion wedges with oil and add them to the tomatoes.
Bake, open, for ± 30 minutes to brown the vegetables and to drive off excess liquid.
In a medium size saucepan mix the White Sauce Powder with the extracted juice. Add the Tomato Pesto. Add boiling water and Chicken Stock Powder. Bring to a slow simmer.
Put the roasted tomatoes and onions in a food processor or blender and puree until absolutely smooth. Add to the simmering soup. Cook for 10 minutes. Add sherry (if using) and season to taste with Chilli & Garlic Seasoning. Add a spoonful of lightly whipped cream to each bowl of soup.