A recipe that ticks all the boxes! Delicious, filling and affordable. It will freeze very well and is excellent served with a traditional braai. For those who love heat, add a little more fresh chilli.
YOU WILL NEED
- 6 fresh mealies, cut away the kernels and break stripped cobs in half
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 3 T (45 ml) butter
- Ina Paarman's Seasoned Sea Salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's White Sauce Powder
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh cream
- Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning to taste
- 1 fresh red chilli (optional)
Keep kernels on one side and boil the cobs in the water with the lid on for 30 minutes. Strain, reserve stock and discard cobs.
Sauté the onion, pre-seasoned with Seasoned Sea Salt, with the butter until soft and golden.
Add the corn kernels and stir-fry for about a minute. Stir in the White Sauce Powder. Add one cup of the corn stock and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until the kernels are tender, spoon out half of the kernels and keep on one side.
Add cream to the remaining kernels and blend to a smooth textured consistency. Now add the reserved kernels and blend very briefly to keep texture. Taste and season with Chilli & Garlic Seasoning. Dish up and top with finely sliced chilli.