A delicious cold soup best made in Summer when the tomatoes are at their very best! The trick to developing full flavour is to pre-season the vegetables, giving the vegetable flavours time to develop. Some of the vegetables are cubed and kept aside for a garnish.
YOU WILL NEED
- 6 large very ripe tomatoes
- 1 English cucumber, unpeeled
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 small red or green chilli
- Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 slice white bread, broken into smaller pieces
- 3 T (45 ml) Ina Paarman's Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- ½ cup (125 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T (30 ml) sherry or wine vinegar
- 1 tin (200 ml) tomato cocktail juice
- Ina Paarman's Seasoned Sea Salt
- 2 T (30 ml) finely sliced chives
Roughly cut up 5 of the tomatoes, ¾ of the cucumber, ¾ of the bell pepper and ¾ of the onion and place in the bowl of a processor. Add garlic, chilli and add 2 t Green Onion Seasoning. Pulse 5 times and leave to stand for 30 minutes in the processor.
By hand, dice the remaining tomato, rest of the cucumber, bell pepper and onion into small neat blocks. Place in a sieve over a bowl. Season the vegetables with Green Onion Seasoning. Refrigerate (still in the sieve, over the bowl) until serving time.
Add the juice from the diced vegetables to the roughly chopped vegetables in the processor. Add the bread and Tomato Pesto. Process on high speed until everything is very smooth. Gradually add the oil, while the processor is running on high speed.
Add the vinegar and tomato cocktail juice. Taste for seasoning and add Seasoned Sea Salt to taste. Mix well.
Decant the soup into a serving bowl, cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
Dish up the soup, sprinkle the chives and pass the chopped vegetables for everyone to help themselves.
Add a tot or two of Vodka to the soup before serving – to give it a ‘bloody Mary’ twist.