A delicious old fashioned British Breakfast treat. The haddock water is good to flavour the rice.
YOU WILL NEED
- 300 g haddock
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Butter Chicken Coat & Cook Sauce
- splash of canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ¾ cup (180 ml) long grain rice
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman's Masala Spice
- ½ cup (125 ml) chopped parsley
- 4 eggs, hard boiled and shelled - keep the shelled eggs warm in a bowl of hot water until needed
- Ina Paarman’s Peach Apricot Chutney to serve
Gently poach the smoked haddock in the 2 cups of barely simmering water for about 5 minutes (cover the pan with a lid). Lift the fish from the liquid (reserve this), remove the bones and skin and then flake the fish. Toss the fish with the Butter Chicken Sauce. Keep on one side.
Heat the oil in the same pan, add the onion and fry gently until it is transparent and just becoming golden. Stir in the rice and stir-fry with the onion for 3 minutes. Add the reserved water from the haddock. Cover the pan and simmer for 12 minutes, until the rice is just tender.
Gently fold in the flaked fish and the chopped parsley. Quarter the eggs.
Serve the kedgeree on hot plates, topped with the egg quarters. Our Peach Apricot Chutney is the perfect accompaniment.
Best made the same day.