Crustless Salmon and Prawn Quiche
A real treat! The combination of flavours is excellent. Don’t leave out the Liquid Fish Stock Concentrate, it elevates the quiche to gourmet level.
YOU WILL NEED
- soft butter
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh day old breadcrumbs (1 – 2 slices of bread)
- 100 g baby leeks, finely sliced
- ½ t (2.5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 bulb fennel (slice bulb finely and reserve some fronds for garnish)
- 1 T (15 ml) canola oil
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 200 g raw small prawns, shelled
- Ina Paarman’s Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Fish Stock, undiluted
- 100 g smoked salmon trout ribbons, coarsely sliced
Pour Over Custard
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml) sour cream
- ½ t (2.5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s White Sauce Powder
- ½ cup (125 ml) grated cheddar or gouda cheese
Butter a 24 cm flan dish really well with soft butter and shake fresh breadcrumbs in the dish, so that most of the crumbs adhere to the bottom and sides. Place the dish in the freezer to set the crumbs while making the filling.
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
Season the sliced leeks with Green Onion Seasoning. Sauté the leeks and sliced fennel bulb in the oil/butter mixture until completely soft. Lightly season the prawns with Chilli & Garlic Seasoning and briefly stir-fry the prawns with the fennel mixture.
Remove from heat.
Add the undiluted Fish Stock and coarsely sliced salmon ribbons.
Beat the eggs with the sour cream and add Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning.
Toss the White Sauce Powder with the grated cheese and sprinkle half of this mixture evenly over the base of the prepared dish.
Top with salmon mixture. Pour the egg and sour cream custard over the salmon. Sprinkle the remaining cheese mixture over the quiche.
Bake for ± 35 minutes until set and puffy.
Switch off the oven, open the door slightly, and leave the quiche in the warm oven for a final 5 minutes.
Serve warm or at room temperature.