The addition of a little garlic and Chicken Stock turns this everyday dish into a winner. The beans can be served cold as a salad. They last for weeks in a glass container in the refrigerator and can also be frozen.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 kg green beans, finely sliced
- 2 medium sized onions, cut into rings
- 1½ cups (375 ml) water
- 1½ T (22,5 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken Stock Powder
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup (250 ml) cider or white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 1 T (15 ml) curry powder
- 1 T (15 ml) cornflour mixed with a little water
Place the green beans, onions, water, Chicken Stock Powder and garlic in a medium-sized heavy-bottomed saucepan and boil rapidly for about 10 minutes uncovered until just done.
Mix the vinegar, sugar, Garlic & Herb Seasoning and curry powder. Add to the beans and bring to the boil. Thicken by slowly adding cornflour mixture to the beans. Spoon into clean glass jars and seal. Better the next day.
If you like a hotter flavour, replace all or half the Garlic & Herb Seasoning with Ina Paarman’s Chilli & Garlic Seasoning and add one finely sliced red chilli.