Curried Fish Soup
If preferred, the soup can be made the day before and refrigerated to allow all the flavours to develop.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
- 2 T (30 ml) canola or olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- ½ cup (125 ml) raw rice
- 1 T (15 ml) medium strength good quality curry powder
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Masala Spice
- 2 T (30 ml) flour
- 1 t (5 ml) sugar
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 very ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 6 cups (1 ½ litres) boiling water
- 3 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Fish Stock
- 300 g cubed fresh white fish of your choice
- 2 T (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped parsley
- grated rind of one fresh lemon
- olive oil and freshly ground black pepper to finish
Sauté the onions seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning in a mixture of the butter and oil. Add the rice and stir-fry with the onion until golden. Turn the heat down and add the curry powder, Chilli & Garlic Seasoning and Masala Spice. Fry lightly to develop the flavours. Add in the flour and sugar and stir to blend. Add the carrots, tomatoes, water and Liquid Fish Stock. Simmer slowly for 20 minutes. Add the cubed fish and lemon juice. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir through chopped parsley and lemon rind (reserve a little for garnishing).
Reheat to boiling point. Dish into soup bowls, drizzle with olive and add a grinding of black pepper. Finish with a little chopped parsley and lemon rind.
Add mussels or prawns with the fish for a special occasion.
Best tool for grating lemon rind is a microplane grater.