Curried Lamb Shoulder
This slow roasted lamb shoulder with curry flavours is one of the most outstanding recipes we have developed this year.
YOU WILL NEED
- Ina Paarman’s Masala Spice
- 2 kg lamb shoulder, bone in, shin bone on, plus an extra lamb shank
- 4 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Tikka Curry Coat & Cook Sauce
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman’s Chicken Flavour Stock Powder
- 2 cups (500 ml) hot water
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s Coriander Pesto
- 2 T (30 ml) olive oil
Toss the garlic slivers with 1 t (5 ml) Masala Spice to coat well.
Lard the lamb and extra shank, all over with the seasoned slivers of garlic.
Season meat generously with more Masala Spice, rub it in well.
Refrigerate lamb open on a small rack to allow the air to circulate, the outside will dry and the flavours will develop.
Leave in the fridge for 8 – 24 hours.
Adjust the oven rack to one slot below the middle position and preheat oven to 160°C.
Place onions in a roasting dish, season with Green Onion Seasoning.
Position the meat on the bed of onions.
In a large jug mix ¾ of the Tikka Sauce (reserve the last ¼ for later) with Tomato Pesto, chopped tomatoes, Chicken Stock Powder and hot water.
Pour this mixture over and around the lamb.
Cover the pan with wet baking paper and roast for 2 ½ – 3 hours.
Remove the paper and coat the lamb with the remaining Tikka Sauce mixed with the Coriander Pesto and olive oil.
Increase the oven temperature to 180°C and roast open for a final 30 minutes.
Rest, tented with baking paper, for 10 minutes.
Serve with pan gravy (with vegetables) coconut rice and sambals.