Curried Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup
We used Kara Orange sweet potatoes which give a lovely colour and are very rich in Vitamin A. If you can’t find them, use regular sweet potatoes and add another teaspoon of turmeric to lift the colour. If you prefer a milder flavour opt for our Butter Chicken Sauce.
YOU WILL NEED
- 3 T (45 ml) canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 t (5 ml) ground turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 kg sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
- 1½ T (22.5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Chicken Flavour Stock Powder
- 3 cups (750 ml) hot water
- 400 g tin coconut milk
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Tikka Curry or Butter Chicken Coat & Cook Sauce
- 400 g tin of lentils, drained
- 3 T (45 ml) Ina Paarman’s Coriander Pesto
- 1 T (15 ml) olive oil
- fresh coriander
- freshly ground black pepper
Use a large saucepan, heat the oil and add the onion, Green Onion Seasoning and turmeric. Sauté until the onions are glazed. Add the garlic and sweet potato cubes. Stir-fry for one to two minutes to develop the flavour and coat the vegetables with oil. Add Chicken Stock, hot water and coconut milk. Simmer for 15 minutes until sweet potatoes are soft. Add the Tikka Curry Sauce or the Butter Chicken Sauce. Remove the pot from the heat and, using a hand-held electric blender, purée the soup until smooth. Soup can be made to this stage and re-heated for serving.
Toss the drained lentils in a micro safe container with the Coriander Pesto, heat for 1 – 2 minutes in the microwave. Stir in the olive oil. Dish the soup into warmed bowls. Add a few spoonfuls of the lentil mixture. Garnish with fresh coriander and season with freshly ground black pepper.