Eggs in Spicy Tomato Sauce with Chickpeas
The aromatic and slightly spicy flavours of this unusual breakfast or lunch dish is delicious. It is convenient to prepare the tomato sauce portion of the dish in advance and then to add the eggs just before finishing it off.
YOU WILL NEED
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Braai & Grill Seasoning
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 1 t (5 ml) paprika
- 1 t (5 ml) ground cumin
- 400 g tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 x 400 ml Ina Paarman's Tomato, Olive & Chilli Pasta Sauce
- 1 cup (2 wheels) coarsely crumbled feta
- 4 large eggs
- 1 T (15 ml) chopped parsley
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Coriander Pesto
- 6 medium size pita breads
Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pan over medium/high heat. Add the onion and Braai & Grill Seasoning. Cover with a lid and smoor slowly until onion is soft and wilted. Add garlic, paprika and cumin. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
Add chickpeas and Pasta Sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes without a lid to thicken the mixture. Can be pre-prepared up to this stage.
Mix feta into the sauce. Make indentations in the mixture with the back of a soup spoon. Crack eggs one at a time and pour into hollows.
Lightly sprinkle Braai & Grill Seasoning over the eggs.
Cook gently on top of the stove covered with a lid until the eggs are done to your preference.
Garnish with parsley.
Serve with torn pita bread for dipping.