Fairy Cake Fish
These pretty little fish will be a real hit for any birthday party. Watch them swimming on a blue background, while blowing bubbles.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 mixing bowls
- measuring cup
- measuring spoons
- electric beater
- table spoon
- 2 muffin pans
- oven gloves
- cooling rack
- serrated knife
- small spatula
- 3 extra large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup (180 ml) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh full cream milk
- 1 x 600 g Ina Paarman’s Vanilla Cake Mix
- 24 small white paper cups (4 ½ cm x 2 cm)
- 1 x 250 g Ina Paarman’s Vanilla Icing Kit
- 125 g butter at room temperature
- ± ¼ cup ( 60 ml) water
- 1 t (5 ml) lemon juice
- 100 g packet of wafer biscuits filled with vanilla cream
- 200 g pack of white chocolate buttons
- 1 pack hundreds and thousands
- 1 tube red writing icing
- silver balls
- plain blue paper
Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 190°C. Line two muffin pans with paper cups. Mix according to package instructions. Divide cake mixture between paper cups. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes and leave to cool completely.
Prepare icing according to package instructions.
Cut the tops of the fairy cakes level and trim tops to make fins. Spread icing over cakes.
Cut wafer fans to size for the tail.
Spread tails and fins lightly with icing and dip into hundreds and thousands and position on the cakes. Pipe spaces between tail and fins with icing.
Arrange overlapping white chocolate buttons on the fish bodies for scales.
Stick a Smartie eye on to each fish with a little icing and pipe on a red mouth.
Cover a board or tray with blue paper. Place fish on paper and position silver balls to represent bubbles.